4wd not staying engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
hello I'm not to up to date with the 4wds but my buddy was asking whats wrong with his truck so i thought i would bring it here.

well he said he was out tearing up his dads field and when he went to put it in 4x4 it would engage and when he would just smash the throttle like he always did to not get stuck it would disengage. but if he gave it easy light throttle it would stay engaged and work fine. he replace the actuator but nothing still. any ideas?

Truck details
96 GMC 1500 4X4
33in tires
stock height
C.A.I
duals exhaust

nothing extream

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 480le and a manual transfer case in a K2500. My 4Wd only works when I hold the lever in place. I assume it requires a linkage adjustment. Man! I would love some one to offer up a GM procedure for initial set up of the linkage. I think my issue is related to cab flex knocking it out of the detent. Its probably a good time to do a refurb on that mechanism anyway.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my K1500 did that--"manual" floor-stick-shifted transfer case popped out of 4WD on it's own--the transfer case needed new "pads" on the shift-fork, among other parts. The shop I took it to gave it a full rebuild. I don't know if the "full rebuild" was absolutely needed, this was closing on 25 years ago.

Those plastic pads are a very-common wear item. I was told that folks don't change the transfer case fluid often enough. Wear particles from the metal bits contaminate the fluid, cause the plastic pads to be ground away. When the pads are gone...the piece they move doesn't move far enough.