243 to 241

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
what do yall think about durabilty and strenght between the two,

np 241

np 243

my truck has a 243 and the shift motor has NEVER given me any kind of issue, but i honestly prefer floor shift, what do yall think about a swap?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Mechanically they're equals, the NP241 just takes the electronics out of the situation, therefore less to go wrong. My NP243 has been getting a lag to it lately and I've always hated how easy it is to push it accidentally. I'd prefer a NP241 because as the truck ages the small stuff like shift motor, actuator, button, will eventually fail, but I'll hold off till I SAS since I don't know yet what axle I'll be running. IMO If its not broke don't fix it, if all seals looks good and its operating smoothly I wouldn't touch it and wait till you see the deal that works best for you and do it then.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
Mechanically they're equals, the NP241 just takes the electronics out of the situation, therefore less to go wrong. My NP243 has been getting a lag to it lately and I've always hated how easy it is to push it accidentally. I'd prefer a NP241 because as the truck ages the small stuff like shift motor, actuator, button, will eventually fail, but I'll hold off till I SAS since I don't know yet what axle I'll be running. IMO If its not broke don't fix it, if all seals looks good and its operating smoothly I wouldn't touch it and wait till you see the deal that works best for you and do it then.

right if you SAS you might as well go big and all out, th400 and np205, but okay thanks, i didnt know they were equals.
your truck has a 14 bolt? mine came stock with that too, now the z71's had 3.73s factory?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
If I SAS before a 6.0 swap it'll be with my current 4L60e, if its after it'll be 4L80e, the transfercase will most likely be NP241 if using a drivers drop axle or a NP205 w/ VSS installed if I use a pass. drop axle, I'll try to stay as close to factory option as possible.

The NP241 and NP243 are the exact same case other than the way they are shifted with the 243 obviously having the extra electrical parts.

My Z71 came stock with a 10 bolt and 3.73s but I pulled the 14 bolt SF off a 97 4x4 and it also had 3.73s. I believe unless special ordered most Z71s had 3.73s, and all 14SF's in 4x4's had 3.73s but I could be wrong. There is two easy ways to find out what gear ratio your truck came with, the first is to look in the glove box for the codes, I don't know those off hand or which one they are but many members on here do, the other is the place the rear of your truck on stands and spin your driveshaft till your driver side tire makes one complete rotation counting how many times you driveshaft turns. 3(3/4) turns is 3.73, 3(1/4) is 3.23, a little over 4 is 4.11, etc.