Grinding t case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaze4g63

Reaction score
Hello guys I was playing with my 4x4 yesterday and I was wondering if it is normal to grind going into 4L it doesn't did it to 4h so does this mean my t case is going out? I have read some threads and they say it's normal and you need to be doing like 5mph not to grind I have only tried it stopped so I was wondering if this is true?

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the trans in neutral, or is it in gear when you shift the case?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its normal, if you want to reduce the chances of it grinding, try shifting it faster. When the transfer is in neutral, the trans freewheels (the output is trying to turn very gently even in neutral from the drag of the fluid between the clutches and what not) and gets the input shaft in the transfer spinning and it grinds to a stop when you try to put it back in gear. It will also not grind if you select neutral in the trans, stop, then select park, and shift the transfer without releasing the brake.