T -case not shifting when moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greywolf

Reaction score
I have a 1988 k1500 with an auto tran,350 with np231 t-case.When truck is in park or stopped the t-case shifts in and out of gear very smoothly. but when driving I can't shift into 4 Hi but it will shift from 4 Hi to 2 wd easily when moving,Any suggestions. Thanks

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yah quit trying to put it into 4 hi when you're moving

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
To explain, you can't shift from rear wheel drive to 4wd while moving. You need to come to a complete stop. Because shifting into 4Hi makes your front wheels spin. So shifting into it while you are going down the road is both foolish and dangerous. Shifting from 4Hi to 2wd is different. It's just cutting off the front wheels so they are pushed along with the back wheels. So, you can't shift from 2wd to 4Hi while driving. Just like you can't just shift from Drive to Reverse

Sent while pulling out a Ford

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
To explain, you can't shift from rear wheel drive to 4wd while moving. You need to come to a complete stop. Because shifting into 4Hi makes your front wheels spin. So shifting into it while you are going down the road is both foolish and dangerous. Shifting from 4Hi to 2wd is different. It's just cutting off the front wheels so they are pushed along with the back wheels. So, you can't shift from 2wd to 4Hi while driving. Just like you can't just shift from Drive to Reverse

Yah what he said, sorry I'm in a bad mood lol

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front wheels are already spinning at same speed as the rear. Drive shaft isn't, but tcase is synchronized, should bring it up as it's being engaged. Should be able to shift into 4hi at any legal speed. Older trucks with lockouts, not so much.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Front wheels are already spinning at same speed as the rear. Drive shaft isn't, but tcase is synchronized, should bring it up as it's being engaged. Should be able to shift into 4hi at any legal speed. Older trucks with lockouts, not so much.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

His is an 88, that's why I figured it wouldn't shift while he was moving. But if he doesn't have a lockout, then I don't know

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT400's were born with shift on the fly, sounds like it's not synchronizing.

Obviously the front actuator works your just having to be stoped or a slow roll to engage the T-case. Sounds like it needs to be taken out and gone through.

Are you sure you don't have a Np241?