Push Button Transfer Case & Axle Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonny01blaze

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have noticed the abundance of push button transfer case problems as of late. A lot of the threads have been helpful but I'm having some more in depth problems so I figured I better start my own thread! Like we need another one right lol. Ok So Monday I was driving the truck and went to engage 4Hi on the highway. As I usually do, I hit the 4Hi button and I had a pretty loud grinding noise and the truck felt as if it was in 4 lo as my rpms jumped way up and the truck had a serious load on it. I pulled over and hit 2Hi and started rolling again only it still felt like I was in 4lo. I then cycled it a few times, with the switch acting up and blinking and not doing muich of anything, and the transfer case finally disengaged. While driving it still felt like there was a minimal load, like it was still engaged it then felt like it released fully. When I came home that evening after coming to a stop I had a very loud bang front end, I was almost home so I pulled in and looked and BOTH front axles had blown out. So After some research, I replaced the console switch, the transfer case actuator and both front axles. After a test ride all seemed fine, I activated the 4hi and it went right in but quickly grinded and felt as if I was in 4lo. The next and newest problem to arise was now it is having problems coming out of 4wheel drive. It says it disengages on the dash but still lurches like it in. On the lift with no load it goes in and out of 2 hi, 4hi, and 4lo no problems. When back on the ground it doesnt know what to do with itself. Any help or direction to where to start looking would be great. The 4 wheel drive worked fantastic last year(last time it was really used) and recently when I used it to haul my trailer from my back yard.