4x4 wont engage! help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly what it sayss, you can put it in neutral and put it 4 wheel drive high and low but it won't engage. Please help!!!!!

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need some more info to even diagnose does indicator come on is it push button lever in floor what??

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the case shifts into 4x4(lock it in and try to spin front drive shaft) but doesn't lock the front diff in there is a few things to check.

1) check the fuse
2) check for power at the front diff actuator
3) if you don't have power at the actuator when t case is in 4x4 check for broken wires to the tcase. If no broken wires it's probably the tcase switch on top of the t case.
4) if you have power at the actuator pull the actuator out and see if it moves when you shift it to 4x4.

Depending on the year of the truck it probably has the thermal actuator which takes time to heat up and move

If no movement actuator is bad replace it

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is the truck mine had same symptoms in a 95 with the old thermal actuator I upgraded to the electric with the diff wiring harness and problem is solved