VSS'ing a NP205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
article by MEK5 on ck5...

The 205 electric speedo output housing is just about impossible to find as it was only used in the 91 CC.
One just sold on ebay for $400. To rich for me!

I converted a gear drive over using NP241 sensor and trigger wheel and it wasnt that hard,took about an hour to plan the job and a hour to complete.

Match the width of the trigger wheel to your speedo gear width(critical measurement as this effects backlash)

The 241 ring mic'd 1.400 and the 205 plastic gear was 1.150,I took an 1/8" from both sides.This should be done on a lathe/mill,the gear appeared to be hard but turned easy.

That ring/sensor was used in all the GM 241s pass/driverside drop and should still be able to get them but plenty used cases in the junkyard probably cheaper than the 2 parts new!

You must be registered for see images attach

Drill housing square to mating surfaces 11/16" for a 3/4" -16 thread for sensor

Spotface min. of 1 1/4" for the sensor to tighten against and also set sensor/wheel gap.

Cut off old speedo connector and dig out seal then tap hole for a 7/16 fine allenhead bolt to act as a plug or find a plug with a 7/8-18 thread
(Goodluck)

Jeepman1968

Reaction score
My 241 reluctor ring is splined and fits sloppy on my smooth 205 output shaft where speedo gear was. What gives? Thanks in advance