Tires Size Making The Truck Jump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1999 silverado z85 I just rebuilt the transfer case and put 245/70R16 in the rear and the truck has the stock 245/75R16 up front I just had to do the Calipers in the rear and I have been noticing a hop in the rear but mainly when stopping on the highway @70mph a lot of vibrations. a buddy said that the ABS is trying to stop, like if the wheels are spinning, b/c the size difference. dose this hold water? I don't want to throw money in the dark nor lose my T-case. I was thinking that the slip yoke might be the problem b/c it has a half inch burn in it from running on the output shaft case. who could be right> Thx guys !:hmm:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't speak to the ABS issue but different size tires front to back on a 4x4 isn't good...

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ABS is detecting the difference in tire size as a speed difference from front to rear. When it sees this type of difference is when your ABS will actuate, so yes it holds water.

Also if you try and run the truck in four wheel drive you are risking damage to your transfer case. The different tire sizes will cause a bind, a bind causes a break.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
+1, this will cause ABS issues. Unplug the ABS or pull the fuse to verify. If you drive it on a hard surface with those tires on it in 4x4, it can damage your transfer case.