Weird gear shifter??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88 4x4

Reaction score
I have a 88 4x4 5 spd, it has a 350 out of a 81, the piece over the 4x4 shifter goes 4L, N, 2H, 4H from top to bottom. My truck doesn't have the front driveshaft in it. It seems like the 4L spot is 2H, the N spot is 4H, the 2H spot is N, and the 4H spot is 4L. Does it have a differ transfer case, is it the shifter cable, or is it just the wrong cover? I'm clueless????????

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The floor shift in my 95 was 4low (towards the front of the truck) then 2high then neutral then 4high.

So it went
4 low
2 high
Neutral
4 high.

Have you tried putting it in to the spot it says and see what happens? You will be able to know when your in 4 low, as well as 4 high.

88 4x4

Reaction score
I know the third one down from the top is neutral, and i'm pretty sure the fourth one from the top is 4 low, I don't have the front driveshaft in but when i put it in the fourth one it kinda jumped like a granny gear lol. I'm just wonderin why its like that

4L-----?

N------?

2H-----Neutral

4H-----Four Low

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The older transfer cases were alot different than they newer ones like ours. They had many more options for 2L 4L 2H 4H and so on. You may not be able to use the t case shifter in your truck with a much older t case out of an 80's truck. Plus the front drive lines are on opposite sides. .

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd crawl under there and look for the badge
It'll tell ya what t case is in there