Proper way to get into 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have never dealt with a transfer case shifter that was on the floor. Can anyone explain to me the correct way to go in and out of 4 hi and 4 lo? I have a 1997 k2500 7.4L

Thank you!

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's in the book....

But, 4hi you simply pull the lever from 2hi. 4lo requires you to be stopped, in neutral and then shift. Back to 2hi is simply a repeat of those steps.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DIRECTIONS!

Reaction score
I tried doing that yesterday and I wasn't able to get out of 4 lo. Originally I went

Trans --> Neutral
T-Case--> Neutral
T-Case--> 2 hi

and it made a grinding noise so I knew I was screwing something else. Then I put the trans in reverse, then drive, then back to neutral and then the T-Case went into 2 hi easily. What am a screwing up here?

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are not moving the shifter on the t-case fast enough. You don't pause in neutral with an automatic. Even in neutral, you have enough internal drag to spin the t-case input. One smooth, fast motion from 2hi-4lo and 4lo-2hi with transmission in neutral. Stop the truck before shifting the transmission into neutral. That'll stop the transmission input shaft so when you shift the t-case, the transmission input doesn't start the output spinning as quickly.

liers

Reaction score
Here's how I do it....

Put truck in neutral, put transfer case in desired gear (4low, 4high, 2high).
Put truck in drive, and drive.

There's no reason to put the transfer case in neutral when switching in and out of 4x4.