Transmission, T/case advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
New face here but I figured I would dive in the question pool. This looks like a good place to start.

Truck is a 90 GMC K1500, NV3500 and NP241 case.

My transmission has about 400,000 miles on it and I need to change it soon. The last 200,000 miles have been hard ones behind 3 different performance engines. My current 383 is trying to polish the transmission off. So, I'm ordering another tranny soon and putting it in myself (I hope). When it comes to transfer cases I'm about as nooby as it gets though. I have some questions someone might be able to help me with.

For starters, how does the shifter disconnect from the t/case and do I need to do anything from inside the cab or does it just disconnect at the case? I've pulled the Transmission shifter before and that was pretty easy but I've never messed with the t/case shifter or linkage.

Next, does the t/case simply unbolt from the tranny and slide off? Vice versa, will it just slide on to the new tranny? Is there a key or something that determines the alignment of the splines?

Lastly, is there anything I should do to the NP241 while I have it out? I suppose seals would be a good idea but I've never changed them in a t/case so any advice there would be appreciated as well.

Any advice on hiccups I might encounter from lack of knowledge or anything you can think of that would be a good idea to tackle while I have this thing apart would also be appreciated.