4x4 not working, more details in thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
A while ago when i got the engine running, (january 1st) i moved the truck under its own power for the first time. When i needed to move the truck from its sitting spot, i needed 4x4 because my yard was complete ice. Popped it in 4HI when i was warming it up and it worked, stayed in 4 until i threw it back in 2. When i needed it again, it wouldnt work, so i had to move the truck with my plow truck and thats a pain in the ass. I just thought it was too cold for the TLA to work cause it was -30*C that day. Waited till it warmed up and at +10*C it still wouldnt work. Took the plug off the TLA to test for power.. nothing. Tested the wires at the t-case switch and it went like this.

Blue wire probed with pos, green wire with ground. Around 3 volts.

Brown wire pos, green wire ground.. nothing.

Blue wire pos, brown wire ground, around 3 volts.

And vice versa for the one above it was around 3 volts.

I know that the blue wire is the power to the TLA and the brown is main power, but is green just the ground?

And no the fuse isnt blown.

Anyone??

Sent from ******'s Cellular Device

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Pull the plug from the t case switch and cross over the 2 terminals on the pigtail. See if it engages.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I don't have a t case switch, so the wires that ran from mine are on a toggle switch. Instant 4x4, but mine is electric not thermal. It will still work to test it though.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
So I assume you have a thermal actuator? Pull actuator, engage and see if it heats up and actuates. If not, you need an actuator. Same goes for an electric one.

Could be a transfercase switch on top of transfercase, the ball get stuck in the switch.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
So I assume you have a thermal actuator? Pull actuator, engage and see if it heats up and actuates. If not, you need an actuator. Same goes for an electric one.

Could be a transfercase switch on top of transfercase, the ball get stuck in the switch.

Thats what a TLA is, thermal linear actuator. And i tried all of that. I pulled the switch plug and probed it, thats were i got the numbers in the OP.

Sent from ******'s Cellular Device

Mr_Nationwide

Reaction score
Let me know how that turn out. Mine won't engage what's so ever.
It's on my 98 Yukon that has a "Auto 4WD" button and Neutral light.