1999 Chevy sivlerado round body T-case major movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can post a vid or pics if needed thought is was going to be a slip yoke but turns out the rear U-joint has more than a lil play so Check need to replace it but I moved up to the T-case and the (slip yoke) ? at the rear of the T-case has almost an inch of Play!!! OMG!!! is this a weekend fix? really need your help on this guys, planning a trip to see the fam and I can't tow a car up next weekend!!!! HELP!!!please!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely a weekend fix. Pick up some new u-joints and swap em out. If you still have the original u-joints I believe they are held in with the plastic injected locks, I'm sure theres a more technical term. You need to heat the joints up with a propane torch to remove them, look for the little holes in the sides, make sure they face away from you.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will defly. do so, I just went outside and the play at the rear output shaft of the T-case is much less kknow that its not in neutral, how much play does the output shaft of the T-case have. and I think the T-case has been out but the u joints are way too old. The T-case has a crappy RTV job on it, not thinking thats from factory. but mainly need to know how much play that shaft has.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try jacking the rear wheels up and checking the u-joints. There should be very little play in them.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think I'm explaining this proper, @ the transfer case in the rear going towards the rearend or just maybe say The Transfer Case the shaft has play. Are you saying b/c the U-joints are bad the play goes all the way to the yoke into the transfer case?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, wasnt saying that at all. I thought you were talking about u-joint play. If you mean the yoke that slides into the trans then no, it shouldnt have any side to side or up and down play, it should slide in and out with very little resistance but little to no other movement. No matter how bad your u-joint is. If you remove the u-joint and slide just the yoke into the trans it should slide in tight. Some wiggle is cool because it needs to slide back n forth, but not sloppy by any means.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Absolutely a weekend fix. Pick up some new u-joints and swap em out. If you still have the original u-joints I believe they are held in with the plastic injected locks, I'm sure theres a more technical term. You need to heat the joints up with a propane torch to remove them, look for the little holes in the sides, make sure they face away from you.

never heat up a joint, the ears on the weldyoke cant take constant pressure, it can take shock so youll need to hammer them out with a drift.

is it your u joints moving or your joke in the tcase? if your yoke moves an inch then you may have a worn yoke, or bad bushing or bearing or both. thatll have to be taken out and inspected to look at the wear its producing.

jonstreet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a vid I'll post it tonite. the play is in all of the u-joints and yoke. .....1. Rearend 2. U joint 3. Drive shaft 4. U- joints again 5. Yoke 6. T-Case This is where #6 at the T-case with yoke inside of it. I know it moves some what b/c IE slip yoke, moves back and fourth for off road and suspension movement. but how move up and down play do they have? If say I'm under the truck and PUSH STR8 UP on the drive shaft ..lol should the Slip yoke in the T-case move as well? Movie Coming Soon!!!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In that vid from about 1:10-1:20 was the housing on the transfer moving too? That looked a little sloppy but when I watched it a few more times it looked like the transfer was moving. Coulda just been the camera moving though.