'99 K1500 Suburban w/Autotrac - Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Two weeks ago my father got his first 4WD vehicle ever, a '99 Suburban K1500 LT with basically every option and 170K miles. The day after he got it I noticed a clickity-clack coming from what I thought was the front-end. Tonight I took it for a drive and listened to the noise a bit more and I think it's coming from the transfer case. It only makes this clickity-clack noise in 2WD. Driving around we also noticed a bit of a roar coming from the transfer case too, especially when coming to a stop. I only listened for the roar in 2WD and didn't leave it in 4WD long enough to notice if it does it while it's engaged as well.

Do these noises point to any common issues? I was hoping to try to diagnose it myself before taking it to a shop.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerk, but:

Step 1, check fluid level.

:)

Last edited:

AndrewGS

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Way to be an a**hole, bro.

Stupid me, I thought there might be a common issue that caused these sounds that someone with experience would know about. I'll have to get the service manuals out and read up on checking the fluid level.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Two weeks ago my father got his first 4WD vehicle ever, a '99 Suburban K1500 LT with basically every option and 170K miles. The day after he got it I noticed a clickity-clack coming from what I thought was the front-end. Tonight I took it for a drive and listened to the noise a bit more and I think it's coming from the transfer case. It only makes this clickity-clack noise in 2WD. Driving around we also noticed a bit of a roar coming from the transfer case too, especially when coming to a stop. I only listened for the roar in 2WD and didn't leave it in 4WD long enough to notice if it does it while it's engaged as well.

Do these noises point to any common issues? I was hoping to try to diagnose it myself before taking it to a shop.

I have an autotrac case for sale if you need it!!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I said I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I meant it.

Transfer case fluid level is perhaps the most neglected level on a vehicle outside of the front differential. Since the vehicle is a 99 and "new to you", fluid level and condition is suspect.

If I had a dollar for every aluminum cased 4x4 that came into the shop either empty or low on fluid I would have retired years ago. The next most common thing is fluid that hasn't been changed since the truck was new.

Leaking slip yoke seals are common in these boxes, which allows the level to drop over time, leaving the output bearings unprotected and subject to heat, wear and noise. Sometimes rectified by a simple top up. Sometimes not if it's been left that way over a long period.

All those scenarios will case noise and, eventually, failure.

So yup, checking fluid level is the most common issue. Just as you asked.

If you've already checked then great. That's not you're problem.

You can move on to bearings, chain or other hard part issues.

By the way: that a$$hole thing, not cool. Not cool at all to someone who is genuinely trying to help you.....

Last edited:

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to check the fluid level ASAP.

I wasn't calling you an a**hole for the help, it was a Darwin Award post, which now I suspect was directed at the other guy, in which case I'm genuinely sorry.

Thanks again.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to check the fluid level ASAP.

I wasn't calling you an a**hole for the help, it was a Darwin Award post, which now I suspect was directed at the other guy, in which case I'm genuinely sorry.

Thanks again.

Check. Misunderstanding.

No worries.