94 k1500 transfer case no go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my dads silverado had a tranny rebuild done to it and after we got it back the 4x4 ceased to work, i believe it worked for a bit, now it doesnt do anything, its got the stick on the floor to engage, i dont even know where to start, i think its too late to take it back for warranty work

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
my dads silverado had a tranny rebuild done to it and after we got it back the 4x4 ceased to work, i believe it worked for a bit, now it doesnt do anything, its got the stick on the floor to engage, i dont even know where to start, i think its too late to take it back for warranty work

Ok, we need some specifics. Does the "4x4" light on the floor illuminate? Does the front driveshaft spin? Best way to check is to get somebody to put the truck in 4x4, and crawl slowly along, while you crouch on the ground and watch the driveshaft to see if it turns. Check it in both 4hi and 4lo.

If the answer is yes, driveshaft turning but no 4x4 light, then 9 times out of 10 you have one of two problems: either the actuator in the front axle is toast (it screws in to the axle tube with a wire and plug in coming out of it. Very easy to see and get to), or you have a bad transfer case switch and no power is getting to the front end.

It is very easy to pull the plug for the actuator and test it with a volt meter. Unplug it, and check the wire that goes in for power when in 4x4 with the ignition switch in the on position. Should have around battery voltage when in 4x4 and nothing in 2x4 (duh). If there is nothing going to it, the switch on the transfer case is more than likely gone. It is located on the top of the transfer case, a little tricky to get to but not too bad. Personally, I cut those wires and ran a simple toggle switch up to the dash. Pull the 4x4 stick, then hit the switch. Problem solved. Or, you could replace the switch on the transfer case if you so desire.

If the driveshaft doesn't turn, I would check the linkage on the case first. Make sure it's tight and actually engaging properly. If yes, and the driveshaft still won't spin, the case is likely toast. They are cheap to find used and a fairly simple replacement.

Note that I don't want to rule out bad wiring for the above actuator problem. Usually it's the switch or the actuator, but it's possible the wiring could have gotten broken or damaged somewhere. Unlikely, bot possible. Also, check the bulbs for the 4x4 lights. Seen those burn out before too. That cover thing around your 4x4 shifter is held on by 4 screws.

Usually, I don't delve any deeper than that into transfer case problems. Once you get into taking them apart, you're better off to just replace with a good used unit, IMO.

Good luck.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks I'll Try all that stuff, pretty sure no light for the 4x4, but the trucks been parked for a while and haven't had a chance to look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk