transfer case rotted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THOR2500

Reaction score
Yes im new to the forum, so please dont beat me up too much on this one! Ive got a 99 K2500 longroof ( suburban ) and the bottom of my transfer case is rotted out by two of the bolt holes. My question is: has anyone repaired a magnesium transfer case with JB WELD ? Should i just look for another case? Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Jb weld is a "getcha by" fix, but it should hold for a while. Getting all the oil cleaned before application is the problem.

Best just to find another an pop 'er in.

Never heard of a case corroding to where its "rotted" and/or leaking. First time for everything I guess.....

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
The last time i checked the NP241C case that is used in our trucks is Aluminum not Magnesium. More likely its not rotted as much as it has been ground against something from being high centered at one point. But as Great white has stated its much better to grab a used one and slap it in.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The last time i checked the NP241C case that is used in our trucks is Aluminum not Magnesium. More likely its not rotted as much as it has been ground against something from being high centered at one point. But as Great white has stated its much better to grab a used one and slap it in.

I just chose to side step the whole "magnesium thing".

Cracking is a far more common cause of leaks than corrosion.

Contact with hard immovable objects (IE: rock, etc) also causes destruction for sure....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Get a new case theyre like 100 bucks

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just wanna say I have seen them corrode due to salt build up. back a few years ago a fleet of trucks was bought by the salvage yard I was driving for from a medical center they were plow trucks for the property at the medical center and they were not very well taken care of. the parking area for them was the salt shed which corroded the hell out of everything on them.

THOR2500

Reaction score
This is and always was a Chicago truck , where they drop 3 inches of salt for every 1 inch of snow! Going to get some prices on a case and just switch over my internals.Rechecked it today, 2 bottom bolt bosses are rotted thru enought to see the bolts!