Noise in 4 high!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I just noticed it this year after our first dumping of snow, it had probably been a few months since I last used the 4x4. When I have the truck in 4 high im getting a driveline noise at almost any speed above 20kph(10mph), more noticeable on decel. Its not a whining noise but more of a growl. It goes in and out of 4x4 fine and works fine. I serviced the transfer case last summer changing the fluid, and the front diff. Put it up on a lift and checked for any obviously noticeable problems (I.E loose,worn,missing,hitting,foreign objects not supposed to be there) I'm now leaning towards binding and bearing issues, but I believe bearings are more of a whining high pitch noise?. Just trying to get some insight before going further into it.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had a jeep that had the same issue you are describing. Never found what the problem was, I assumed it was something in the transfer case and it would become more evident upon failure, but it still worked perfectly til the day i sold it. I would be interested in hearing any input anyone has.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assumed it was something in the transfer case and it would become more evident upon failure, but it still worked perfectly til the day i sold it.

Ya unless it self implodes i'm not going to worry about it right away. I only use the 4x4 to get out of certain situations at slow speeds. I'd just like to figure it out cause if it is the transfer case I may consider getting another one and rebuild it before it goes in.