Passenger drop tcase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tirebite

Reaction score
The option depends on what you want to spend. Most people that I work with have not had good luck with the 5lm60 or aka Getrag 290. I have never owned one but have rebuilt one for a friend. Very complicated transmission with 4 assorted shift rails. We have replace them with NV3500 205 combo and the massive NV4500 205/203 combo. Not saying it's impossible to run a pass drop on this trans, I have seen the 90-91 burb and blazer Np241 that will bolt to this, but I think that may be hard to find. I have only ever seen 2 of them in 15 years. You can use a dodge transfer case if you want to do a divorced setup.

themudking

Reaction score
The option depends on what you want to spend. Most people that I work with have not had good luck with the 5lm60 or aka Getrag 290. I have never owned one but have rebuilt one for a friend. Very complicated transmission with 4 assorted shift rails. We have replace them with NV3500 205 combo and the massive NV4500 205/203 combo. Not saying it's impossible to run a pass drop on this trans, I have seen the 90-91 burb and blazer Np241 that will bolt to this, but I think that may be hard to find. I have only ever seen 2 of them in 15 years. You can use a dodge transfer case if you want to do a divorced setup.

lots of good info, what comes with running a divorced setup?

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
lots of good info, what comes with running a divorced setup?

You just need output u joint to input u joint and a seperate crossmember for the tcase. Can be easier since you cant bolt any chev pass drop tcase onto your trans. Only thing is you have to get different driveshafts made being longer front and shorter back depending on how far apart you make the tcase from the trans. And you got more ujoints to be worried about breaking

Sent from my finally running z71

Tirebite

Reaction score
Above info is correct, and there are several ways to run a divorced setup. It's called divorced for a reason. It's 2 beings (trans and case) living in a setup arrangement (your truck) that may agree or disagree to what's going on, but cooperate to a certain level, much like a divorced couple with children or whatever prevents them from parting ways. I have seen chain driven set ups, u joints, doublers, and even dual divorced transfer cases that a guy achieved a 47:1 crawl ratio (didn't last, but was neat to see). I personally would look into swapping to a 3500 or 4500 if possible and mating a 205 too it. You might could get lucky and find the 241 from the last 2 years they made gm solid axle burbs and blazers and you will be able to keep your current trans, but I know the 5lm60 is a very unforgiving trans, it was only made for about 3 years. 3500's are very pro curable and easy to find for next to nothing. They have their weak links, but so does everything thing else. That's why there's up grades to everything out there. Sorry if grammar is bad, the auto correct on my iPad has a mind of its own.

Last edited:

themudking

Reaction score
i might look into the tranny swap because a motor swap is probably coming after the SAS, unless money stops me. If i dont swap out my tranny what dodge t-case should i be looking for?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
A 90-91 Burban t case is not hard to find. They are all over the junkyards. Your best bet is a nv4500 and a pass drop np241. The 5lm60 is junk, along with the hm290. The nv3500 will not hold up to anything extreme. They aren't very good behing a stock 305 or 350...

Swapping to a dodge t case is going to run you a lot more having to get custom adapters and such. Not worth it IMO.

themudking

Reaction score
Posted in a local forum looking to see if anybody had any pass drop np241s. None have showed up yet but some guys trying to tell me his np208 will work. Just wanted to look into it before i told him i won't buy it.