4WD Not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been trying to get everything working on this new truck i got, it's a 95 z71 automatic with the manual shift in the floor transfer case. and the one thing i haven't been able to figure out yet is why 4wd isn't working because i don't know what to check. I can move the shifter between 2wd, 4hi, N, and 4lo but the front axle doesn't engage and the front axle light on the shifter doesn't come on either. Low range is engaging in 4lo but not the front axle. the previous owner told me it needs a silver fuse that on the fuse panel on the dash(showed me which one) and i've got the guy at the parts store telling me its probably the actuator. I trust the parts guy more than the previous owner cause the previous owner lied about quite a few things on it so far. Anyways, is there a way to test if its the fuse or the actuator or anything that it could be without having to throw parts at it?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
The fuse is the cheapest thing to check, like $3 for a pack of 10.

You could also run a jumper wire on the t case switch to see if the actuator engages.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i guess i could try the spacer trick to see if it's the actuator or is the fuse the one that operates the actuator?

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
If the 4x4 fuse pops, the actuator will not get power. The spacer is going to kill your mpgs and drive like a pos. I have my actuator on a toggle switch and accidentally drove with the front end engaged in 2hi and was fighting the steering to keep in a strait line. Not fun at all :deal:

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuse is the cheapest thing to check, like $3 for a pack of 10.

You could also run a jumper wire on the t case switch to see if the actuator engages.

Ooops, didn't see this reply lol how would i run a wire on the t case switch? i'm not familiar with the 4wd system at all as this is my first one. which switch do you mean and how would i do this?

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the 4x4 fuse pops, the actuator will not get power. The spacer is going to kill your mpgs and drive like a pos. I have my actuator on a toggle switch and accidentally drove with the front end engaged in 2hi and was fighting the steering to keep in a strait line. Not fun at all :deal:

Well i meant try the spacer to see if it was the actuator but if the fuse causes the actuator not to work i guess that won't help much? :shrug:

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Ooops, didn't see this reply lol how would i run a wire on the t case switch? i'm not familiar with the 4wd system at all as this is my first one. which switch do you mean and how would i do this?

First you need to swap a blade fuse in so the system can receive power.

Then look for a switch on the transfer case that looks like this:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ch+1996+1995&gclid=CKKS3oj4hrwCFY1AMgodLDkA5w

Undo the connector and jump the 2 pins on the connector side.

The t case switch uses a ball that moves and grounds the system when you switch to 4x4. The jumper wire creates a ground and activates the actuator.