4x4 won't engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy4802

Reaction score
hey guys, I have been searching the net for some answers and came across this site... looks like a great resource for these trucks, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.
I have a 1990 Sierra 1500 single cab longbed truck... for a while it was making a grinding noise going from 2hi to 4hi... and then it would slip in and out of 4wd. Now it doesn't go into 4wd at all. I can shift it into 4 LOW but I only get RWD LOW. My mechanic figures the chain is stretched on the t-case but I'm hoping to get a second opinion.
any ideas?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the junkyard thing, upgrade to the electric shown in that thread. There are more threads on this forum on the upgrade to a newer style. Parts are super cheap in a scrap yard, just the oem replacement for your model is over $100 new. Upgrade it for cheap.

Andy4802

Reaction score
Do the junkyard thing, upgrade to the electric shown in that thread. There are more threads on this forum on the upgrade to a newer style. Parts are super cheap in a scrap yard, just the oem replacement for your model is over $100 new. Upgrade it for cheap.

So turns out you were right, it was the actuator... I used the spacer trick I read about in another thread, pulled the actuator, put a short socket in there reinstalled actuator (wires disconnected) and presto, full time 4 wheel drive...
Thanks for the help!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad its sorted. The spacer trick can get you out of a jam, but MAN does it suck to lay in the water to do it!