Driving in 4Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
97 GMC Sierra 1500

Had to back my trailer into my daughters icy driveway yesterday, so hit the 4Hi button. Was coming home today, drove about 40 miles before I noticed that I was still in 4Hi.....Road conditions were partial snow covered, mostly with 2 bare tracks on the pavement. Do you think I overheated or hurt the transfer case in any way? Everything seems fine.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4wd for 40mi at 55mph....... And didn't notice? Thats some pretty smooth 4wd..... No harm done, circulated some fluid is all.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
4wd for 40mi at 55mph....... And didn't notice? Thats some pretty smooth 4wd..... No harm done, circulated some fluid is all.

Much smoother than my old 82 s10 Blazer was.....I did notice the difference once I went back to 2Hi......Probably having the trailer on back (2000#) made me not notice as much as I should have

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If it shifted back out of 4hi then no worries.

As mentioned, they are good up to 55. At least, if I remember the owners manual correctly its 55.

The concern is binding in the transfer case. But if it went back into 2wd you're good.

I would avoid it on surfaces that don't allow slippage though. The differences between front and rear differentials (and tires) is what binds a transfer case. Its what gives you the "bunny hop" effect when you try to turn tight in 4hi.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I just try to avoid turning as much as possible when in 4x4. I usually try to make as wide a turn as I can.

Turning sharp on dry pavement in 4x4 isn't especially good for it. Sometimes, it's hard to avoid, but I do my best. Even in mud/snow I try to avoid it if I can...my grandfather hammered into my head not to turn hard in 4x4, so it's just habitual now.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm curious what the highest speed any of you have heard of or personally hit in 4hi? No way I'm about to try it and hope none of you do either but if it's already been done I'm curious what kind of numbers y'all have reached in it and if everything was okay after