rigged t case switch???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I've had quite a few issues with my 4x4.
Bought the truck with the front driveshaft laying in the back seat...

After finding the correct u joints for my np231c, I gt my driveshaft installed. The front output wouldn't engage in 4hi, but would in 4lo. I still didn't have 4x4 though. My lights for the 4x4 are burnt out. Today I got my test light out for some diagnosis. I had power at the 4x4 fuse, but not at the accuator (has been updated to the electric motor). I went back to the transfer case looking for the switch. Apparently my transfer case doesn't even have the provisions for a t case switch. The pigtail from the switch was cut and spliced with 2 wires coming off of it and running up through the stick shift boot. These wires were not attached to anything. I took a jumper wire and connected the two. I could hear the actuator engage the front axle. I now have excellent 4lo, but cannot get 4hi.

The 4 hi issues seems like a linkage issue to me. Any input on this would be great, even if it means something different and more complex than the linkage. Any ideas?

My second question is, will it hurt to run my actuator on a toggle switch since my transfer case has no switch to control it? I plan on adding another fuse just to be safe, but will I be okay sound so until I swap in a np241?

And my last question is, what size bulb goes into the manual shift t case lights?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad it's not manual shift... Those sometimes have a 1/2" drive input on the side to shift it

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few have a 1/2" square input on the side (Similar to a drain plug). Couple marks indicate position so you can over-ride the linkage. 1356 is this way but unsure on a np241

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it doesn't have that just unhook the linkage and shift the lever from underneath

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, I don't see a problem with a toggle switch. But you tcase will have a switch on it somewhere. Its how they work.

Getting 4lo but not 4hi does sound like a linkage adjustment problem.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shift forks are worn or the roll pin is snapped on the 4hi arm. W/ over 300k hard miles and alot of 4x4 I've never had external linkage issues. I've had both the issues listed above tho.

The switch on the tcase that triggers front actuator can burn out and a toggle will work fine.

Source Unknown

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I can't find a spot for a switch, although mine is a np231 which uses a vacuum switch. So it wouldn't work with my electric from actuator on the front axle anyways.

And mine is not the factory t case, so the linkage has been moved and taken off, so it's a high possibility that it is just out of adjustment. I'm hoping so At least :lol:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Good decent quality toggle switch with a Relay and fuse will be more then sufficient to act as an electronic disco set up similar to how the Posi lok works on our trucks. and more then likely the 4 hi/lo thing is due to linkage adjustment.