Transfer Case Swap: NP246 to NP243

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1999 2 door Tahoe with a fairly new NP246. I have a Superlift 4-6 in lift on it with a high angle front driveshaft.

the stock NP246 has slip yokes. Even with the new driveshaft and new output shaft seals, its still leaks constantly. A new seal will last 100 miles before busting, ACDelco too.

At least the NP243 has a front fixed yoke.

Questions:

-Does the 243 pictured below "look" good? i know it's hard to tell with only one pic but are there any red flags that yall see that I'm missing?
-Will the stock 243 driveshaft work with the lift I have on it? or will I have to modify my high angle driveshaft?
-Wiring. I've read countless threads and know my rear 246 VSS will need to be spliced to the rear 243VSS on the driverside.
-What needs to be done for the wiring of the front actuator?
-This "new to me" 243 has 90K on it, IDK its history, besides changing fluid, what else should be done?
-Is there normal play in the output shafts I can check for?

You must be registered for see images attach

New to me 243

You must be registered for see images attach

My Tahoe

97Rabbit

Reaction score
I actually just rebuilt my np243 and u would be surprised how easy it is to do... That being said it cost right around 300$ to do, so if you have 300 I would just rebuild it so you don't have to worry about it ever again... Just my .02