push button 4x4 to 4 on the floor ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ok so i searched around the net to find out what all you need to do this but nobody gives a definite answer .i hate the push button bs and im tired of stuff failing on it . so what all will i need to do this swap ? and is there anyone that has done this swap on here ? if so what kind of problems did you run into

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subed also i want this done too.now just also have to get the money together and add it to the forever growing to do list.

Sent from the over used computer that is a phone

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you want true manual 4x4, you'll also need to eliminate the actuator on the front axle as well. This kit here will help you do that.

http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-USA-450...d=1379706889&sr=8-1&keywords=alloy+USA+450800

I've been wanting to do this swap for a while myself. My 4x4 has been broken for close to 6 months now. Trucks been to two shops neither of which can figure it out. Darn electronic POS.

There's only a couple things "electronic" that can go wrong with it. It even will give you fault codes.

What's it doing?

Reaction score
thanks guys all the info yall have is extremely useful and the rite up answered pretty much all the questions i had so far . thanks for that 88gmc ! and thanks volunteer for the cable link ! ill be gathering up all the parts from our local bone yard this week more than likely and make a build thread on it . if yall have anything else yall would like to add then please feel free because ive never done the swap b4 and all the info is greatly appreciated ! thanks guys !

and hopefully an sas after a while !

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
There's only a couple things "electronic" that can go wrong with it. It even will give you fault codes.

What's it doing?

Sorry wasn't home all weekend and just now saw this.

When you push the button for either 4-HI or 4-LO the lights just blink. The front actuator will not move at all and the transfer case doesn't engage either. I did some probing around with a multimeter but it's been too long since so I can't recall what was getting power, what wasn't, etc. First shop I took it too suspected a transfer case control module, ordered a new one from GM, still didn't fix it. Second shop couldn't figure it out either.

Sorry PO for the thread jack lol.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
could just be a very minor issue, gutting the system is a lot more work than fixing it.

Also as a side note "4 on the floor" means something completely different.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sorry wasn't home all weekend and just now saw this.

When you push the button for either 4-HI or 4-LO the lights just blink. The front actuator will not move at all and the transfer case doesn't engage either. I did some probing around with a multimeter but it's been too long since so I can't recall what was getting power, what wasn't, etc. First shop I took it too suspected a transfer case control module, ordered a new one from GM, still didn't fix it. Second shop couldn't figure it out either.

Sorry PO for the thread jack lol.

Is the front actuator a TLA or is it the servo style.

90% of the time if it's not the front actuator it's the control head in the dash. They are notorious for cold solder joints.

I had a pdf around here somewhere, let me see if i can find it...

Edit: see if my link to the pdf still works in this thread - http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17252

Edit 2: crap, looks like it was deleted. Pm me your email if you want it and I'll see if i can find a copy when i get home.

New link: http://www.filedropper.com/pushbutton4x4

Last edited: