Removing Transfer case 1999 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cable Guy

Reaction score
For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the crossmember out. It moves back and fourth. Twists diagonal but never clears the frame on either side. Can someone tell me how the damn thing comes out. Pictures would be great
thanks

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jack the trans up a little to give yourself more clearance...then slide the crossmember diagonally. Should come out....but only from one side from memory.

actionmeter

Reaction score
re: new transfer case

You also don't necessarily live in the best place for a transfer case like this either. Waaga Way (HWY 303) hill can be hard on the transfer case not to mention the other big hills in the area. I know that area all too well. I was just back there in July for my new grandkid and lived for 12 years up near Rolling Hills Golf Course.

I take it you are using the dealership down in Tacoma. How are they treating you? I've heard mixed reviews of them.

I say screw it, it s costs the same to rebuild one or buy a functional used one.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

MkBezz

Reaction score
I'm working on my K2500 98 Suburban. I have a transfer case (NP246) which has severely cracked front and rear housings. I bought a remanufactured NP246 to replace the broken one. I cannot find a tutorial or video that clearly shows how to do it. I am stuck.

1. Driveshafts. I have the rear driveshaft out. It doesn't look like I will be able to get the front driveshaft out without dropping either the exhaust, the transfer case, the oil filter adapter, or front diff. Should that be the case?

2. I cannot access the bolts that connect the transfer case and the transmission (4l80e) together.

3. I have removed every nut and bolt which I can see which holds the cross member to the frame and the transfer case. I cannot get the cross member to move.

Any tips and or links to tutorials would be much appreciated.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm working on my K2500 98 Suburban. I have a transfer case (NP246) which has severely cracked front and rear housings. I bought a remanufactured NP246 to replace the broken one. I cannot find a tutorial or video that clearly shows how to do it. I am stuck.

1. Driveshafts. I have the rear driveshaft out. It doesn't look like I will be able to get the front driveshaft out without dropping either the exhaust, the transfer case, the oil filter adapter, or front diff. Should that be the case?

2. I cannot access the bolts that connect the transfer case and the transmission (4l80e) together.

3. I have removed every nut and bolt which I can see which holds the cross member to the frame and the transfer case. I cannot get the cross member to move.

Any tips and or links to tutorials would be much appreciated.

I don't know the answers but you might get more help if you start your own thread, asking how to remove the t-case?