1996 Sierra Grinding Noise when engaging 4wd low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am new to this so I dint know much But my truck only has 90k miles and it grinds horribly when going into 4wd low. I don't know if this is suppose to do this or not. I just wont to hear from others. thank you

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thank you
how long can you drive in 4wd hi and how fast?

A graunch going in to 4Hi or 4 low on a manual box is not unusual. Banging or loud grinding is not so good.

IIRC, 4Hi is 55mph and unlimited. Autotrac is 55-65. But check the owners manual for sure as memory might not be accurate on that one....hard surfaces will eventually bind the drivetrain without autotrac though....

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
For as long as you need it for traction. For example I wont use it if its raining really hard, but if its snow pack on the road I will use it. I have done 50 mile commutes frequently in 4hi in the snow. From what I understand to go in to 4hi you can do it at any speed. however I don't have the balls to do it going highway speeds so I usually slow down to say 15mph.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A graunch going in to 4Hi or 4 low on a manual box is not unusual. Banging or loud grinding is not so good.

IIRC, 4Hi is 55mph and unlimited. But check the owners manual for sure as memory might not be accurate on that one....hard surfaces will eventually bind the drivetrain though....

I have never seen a speed limit for the 4x4 but on the other hand when i need 4x4 i don't go that fast anyways.....

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you
I ask cause yesterday I must have knocked it in 4wd hi when it was off and drove 50 miles with it in 4wd hi so..

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
meh..its fine. just wore your tires more for no reason. have you changed the transfer case fluid yet? That would be a good idea. My truck also has a grease nipple on the front drive shaft that you may want to put grease in if you have one.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no I haven't done either. I don't guess it has ever been done. how often do you do that and how mine only has 90k on it