First time poster needs some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kugs

Reaction score
I have a 1991 k3500 dump with a 454tbi and sm465 4spd bolted to a borg warner t case that i want to swap to a 4l80e. I bought a 1991 gmc k2500 with a 454tbi and 4l80e bolted to a np241 tcase. So my question are
Will the 4l80e bolt to the borgwaner t case? i think the trans output shafts are the same.
Will the 4l80e work with my driveshafts?
I have completely taken every part that has to do with the engine trans and tcase from the parts truck even the dash harness. I know i have to change the engine harness and there is some minor wiring difference between the two but i dont see that being a problem. Im just trying to get my ducks in a row before i start the swap.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
first off, welcome! Sorry I can't help but shouldn't be too long before someone does!

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes it should bolt to the Borg Warner case. all 3500's used the same case. I don't think it uses the same drive line though. there is a guy on here that did the opposite swap but his was in a half ton. it was 88gmctruck that did it. he has a build thread that I believe will answer some of you questions.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I know there is some wiring discrepancies between the BW and the NP241

Good info can be had here about the NP241 to BW4401 swap
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?6215-1-2T-NP241-to-1T-BW4401

As for the driveshafts, get a measurement of the SM465, and another of the 4l80e, how much difference there is will tell you if you'll need driveshaft modifications.

kugs

Reaction score
Well i got the swap all done. I took a little more than i thought it would. The borg warner does fit one the back of the 4l80e without problem. But my biggest problem was the torsin bar crossmember, all trucks stick or auto use the same crossmember execpt the one ton auto. the one ton auto has the middle section go towards the rear of the truck to fit the long trans/longer transfer case combo. A little welding and fab work was in order cause i could not get my hands on one. I all so had to change the dash wiring harness and get my rear drive shaft shortened by 2 1/8'' and had new joints and support bearing put in at the same time.