1993 z71 shift switch location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

250gottiline

Reaction score
im new to workin on these parts but not new to turing a wrench ..im looking for a shift switch location ..and can this part be replaced ? truck was shifting into 4x4 but is not not ..can hear tcase but floor indicator dosent light up and i get no 4x4 ..was a intermittent problem that now seems to be a permenant problem ..any help would be apreciated ..thanx in advance..

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the actuator on the pass side front of the differential turns on that light when the axle locks, its a thermal actuator for 93 and is a common failure item, there is a possibility the switch on the top of the t-case is not sending power to it but 9 times out of 10 its that thermal actuator

250gottiline

Reaction score
the actuator on the pass side front of the differential turns on that light when the axle locks, its a thermal actuator for 93 and is a common failure item, there is a possibility the switch on the top of the t-case is not sending power to it but 9 times out of 10 its that thermal actuator

thanx bud...what axle did u use for ur sas ?

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
You can replace it with a newer model electric actuator:

"Drivetrain - Slow Or No Engagement of Front Axle

File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998
Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # XXXXX

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (SectionXXXXXAxle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage whenXXXXXis selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to completeXXXXXengagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.

Parts Information
P/N Description Qty 26060073 Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle 1 22510339 Fastener 1 15313272 Harness, Jumper (Z Splice) 1 (86-93 K1-3) "

tmitchell91

Reaction score
i cut the wires on my transfer case switch and ran themw to a toggle switch on my dash.. i also have the updated electroinc actuator. now i control when the actuator locks in .. might be an idea