96 Z71 push button won't lock in to 4wd PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSexy96

Reaction score
My truck will not lock in to 4wd the light just blinks and sometimes doesn't even do that. It makes a loud banging noise usually. Please help!

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
It's your actuator most likely. Others might have to chime in because I've never had trouble with mine, but it seems to be a fairly common problem amongst the push-button 4x4s

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Describe "loud bang" a little better.

IE: at a stop, over 20 mph, from the transfer case area, from the front differential area, metallic sound, grinding sound, thud sound, etc.

Since you say "blinking", I'm assuming pushbutton transfer case?

do you know if you have the thermo linear actuator or if it's been retrofit with the servo actuator?

BigSexy96

Reaction score
When you try to lock it in it bangs really loud like it wants to lock in but it never does

BigSexy96

Reaction score
I've tried it on asphalt dirt gravel...all different types of terrains. Never moving just stopped, in neutral, push the 4HI button, reverse, then drive, and still nothing. It just bangs and then does nothing after that.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I've tried it on asphalt dirt gravel...all different types of terrains. Never moving just stopped, in neutral, push the 4HI button, reverse, then drive, and still nothing. It just bangs and then does nothing after that.

just so you know, under normal operation you don't have to stop or reverse or nuetral or anything. Just push the button and go- it's on the fly 4x4. Just don't be revving hard when you do it.

unless you are going into 4 lo, then you go into nuetral push the button and go.

^^^under normal operation

BigSexy96

Reaction score
So you think I should try this and then come back and let you know the results? I don't wanna anything up.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
So you think I should try this and then come back and let you know the results? I don't wanna anything up.

well, regardless of if you are stopping, going into nuetral or reversing, your 4x4 should still work. I'm still going to guess your actuators aren't working properly, they are getting the signal just not clicking in good enough to do the job.