96 Chevy 4x4 only engages 4low, blinks at me on 4hi????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiftedGmc355

207 Stepside
Reaction score
So i really have no idea whats wrong with it 4lo works 4hi does not i was thinking transfer case motor? idk any help would be great

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I know this is about a month old but I thought I'd just throw in my .02. Both me and a friend had this same problem. Both times it was a bad dash switch. There is a chance you have a broken wire somewhere as well. You need to see if your getting power from the 4 HI button when it's pushed. If you are it's a broken wire somehwere in the harness. If not, time for a new switch. I'd try looking for one in a junkyard first because if I remember right the one I bought was about $70.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The dash switch on the electric transfer cases are very often the culprit. Cold solder joints are usually the problem.

Cold solder joints have been a problem with GM's since the late 80's/early 90's.

That's what you get with "hencho en mexico".

I had a similar issue. I opened up the switch, retouched the solder joints at the connector, put it back together and its been working fine ever since. About 1/2 hour of my time and saved about 100 bucks.

That was about 2 years ago and still good....

LiftedGmc355

207 Stepside
Reaction score
You know I have been wondering about the switch I'm gonna grab one next week at the junk yard

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have this same problem. I pushed 4lo and then 4hi blinked at me but I know 4wd is working cuz the steering gets harder and truck doesn't want to roll while in gear.