silicon or gasket??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the gasket im talking about is the one that goes on the front of transfer case where it bolts to the trany

im ready to put my transfer case in my truck,, but i have to wait because i dont have a gasket... talked to a few people and they say they would just use rtv silicon,,, i have some in my shop,, but ive always used a gasket,,, what are your thoughts?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
There is no gasket as far as I know. I used Blue gasket maker and have had no problems whatsoever.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just put a transfer case in an s-10 and used a gasket,,,, given i had to get it from the gm garage,, but i cant see it being a part i cant find

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
It makes me wonder because there should be one for the rear housing that the driveshaft goes into as well. For that reason that's why I've used gasket maker and, along with the fact that you can't find it from anywhere besides ebay makes me question why there isn't two gaskets.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It makes me wonder because there should be one for the rear housing that the driveshaft goes into as well. For that reason that's why I've used gasket maker and, along with the fact that you can't find it from anywhere besides ebay makes me question why there isn't two gaskets.

the rear housing where the drive shaft goes into only has 4 bolts not 6 like where it bolts to the trany

on another note,, i went into the GM garage this morning and they had the gasket on stock for $8.00,,, so i got it,,, when i put it on the truck i put silicon on the trany, put the gasket on than put the transfer case on,,,

if anyone else thinks they dont make a gasket let me know and ill post the part number for ya

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
the rear housing where the drive shaft goes into only has 4 bolts not 6 like where it bolts to the trany

on another note,, i went into the GM garage this morning and they had the gasket on stock for $8.00,,, so i got it,,, when i put it on the truck i put silicon on the trany, put the gasket on than put the transfer case on,,,

if anyone else thinks they dont make a gasket let me know and ill post the part number for ya

Ya, I know there are only 4 bolts on the back vs 6 on the front. So are you saying that there isn't a gasket for the rear pump retainer housing? I pulled the driveshaft off and am in the process of taking the pump retainer housing off to seal both it and the rear extension housing. I can't tell which one is leaking, so I'm going to do both. As you can see there is silicone on both attach points, which doesn't mean anything. Can anyone else chime in and say that there is or isn't a gasket for the rear?

You must be registered for see images attach

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, I know there are only 4 bolts on the back vs 6 on the front. So are you saying that there isn't a gasket for the rear pump retainer housing? I pulled the driveshaft off and am in the process of taking the pump retainer housing off to seal both it and the rear extension housing. I can't tell which one is leaking, so I'm going to do both. As you can see there is silicone on both attach points, which doesn't mean anything. Can anyone else chime in and say that there is or isn't a gasket for the rear?

You must be registered for see images attach

im not sure,, if there is one for there or not,,,, both of mine have silicon on it too