Floor shifter front axle indication light inoperable 4x4 OK. Bulb OK. Socket OK.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zilverado71

Reaction score
Who thinks they can figure this out?

Floor-mounted shifter column for 4x4 has two lights. One to illuminate when park lamps come on and one to illuminate when 4x4 is engaged and ready to go. The bulb for 4x4 engagement is not illuminating. My floor display's front axle does not light up. It used to though. 4x4 Works powerfully. 4LO and 4HI both engage just fine. Bulb is OK. Socket is OK.

Question is, what sends voltage to the tiny bulb to light up the front axle icon? Something mounted on Xcase or front diff? I can't tell because the wires run underneath my carpet. I do know that the bulb socket uses a black and a white wire. Where the hell do they come from? I have a test light and meter if anyone can tackle this one they would really make my day.

Truck info; 1990, k1500, 350TBI, 700R4(rebuilt), Electric actuator, Floor shifter, Single cab, Fleetside, Shortbed, NP241 Xcase

Last edited:

zilverado71

Reaction score
I would agree, are you 100% sure the front axle is locked? As in you can spin the front tires?

The only other things that are in the system are the front actuator itself and the detent switch in the transfercase itself.
are you sure that the front axle is actually engaged?

Can't climb a 50 degree hill with bald tires if it weren't. I'm sure its engaged. What sends power to the light? Where is that item located EXACTLY? I can raise the truck, put it in 4x4, park position, and the front tires will kick back if I try roll them.

Last edited: