1997 GMC 1500 4WD won't engage and just blinks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axewhlder

Reaction score
Sorry this is my first post here but I have to get it out of the way.

I just bought this truck a few weeks ago. As mentioned it's a 1997 350/Z71. When I hit the dash button for 4Hi it just blinks at me. Same with 4Lo. If I put it in neutral (automatic) and try to engage 4Lo I can hear the T-case clunking but it never locks. I checked the fuses by the door for the t-case and the 4wd. Both looked good. I HATE push button 4wd - especially in GM's but I couldn't pass up the deal on this truck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Front differential actuator is probably bad, it screws in and has a wire harness on the back of it. It should be tan colored. unscrew it with channel locks and have someone engage 4x4 see if it actuates.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
Front differential actuator is probably bad, it screws in and has a wire harness on the back of it. It should be tan colored. unscrew it with channel locks and have someone engage 4x4 see if it actuates.

i agree, thats the going thing with these trucks

Axewhlder

Reaction score
Any particular noise or action it will do when it actuates? Thanks.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
It will poke outwards, what it does is push a pellet in the diff and engage the front differential In to 4wd.

sorry I can't go in to a lot of detail typing on my phone is a real pain in the ass hole.

buddyp

Reaction score
I seem to be having a similar problem with my 97 Silverado manual shift.Indicator light says it is engaged but there is a loud clunk/gear clash when I try to drive away.A transmission tech put it on a lift with front axel engaged but did not get any response from the tcase.Says it will be $900-$1500 to find out what it is,Yikes!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score

Axewhlder

Reaction score
Had the same problem. It was the actuator. Took me longer to get the skidplates off the front of my truck than to switch the actuator. Just a big wrench, unplug it and screw in the new one. Also, the colder it is outside, the longer it will take. Its a "Thermal Linear Actuator", so it heats up and then pushes it out.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?14282-4x4-button-flashing-Not-fully-engaging-maybe

Here is my thread^^^
Yup. That's it right there. Off to rockauto I go. haha