4x4 Transfer case help (dangerous)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I know nothing of 4wd drive systems internally I will warn you now.. lol today he in Missouri we got a good blast of winter weather with alot of ice.

I have a 1998 Silverado (non z71) (automatic) I have the push button 4wd, the problem is it engages just fine but I happened to roll my windows down on the highway, I heard a loud clicking/light jackhammer/popping sound while in motion. I pulled over and took a look underneath, I did not see any fluid leaks or loose parts in the front or rear end.

The rear end also sways pretty bad while driving in 4wd hi, but not in 2wd heck I dont even hear a noise. The truck has been in the shop and has had the front end completely rebuilt a few months back, and the 14bolt rear end upgrade. All new brakes, and what have you. Unfortunately I work 40 miles out from my house and lets say the long drive in was pretty stressful.

Do you guys have any Ideas what it could be/I can check? does it sound like the transfercase?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I'd say transfercase.... and this might sound like a stupid question, but your front gears and rearend are geared the same right? (after the 14 bolt swap?)

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes sir, both 3.42 ratio... if it is indeed the transfer case, would there be any issue driving it in 2wd? will is cause anymore problems?

I went down a side street to make a u-turn and the snow covered up low medium my truck is not lifted and I popped over it, not real fast or anything, but little jump up and over could this have thrown something off? transmission shifts fine and there is no motor noise.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was pretty bad up here in St. Joe too.
You defiantly have something strange going on, different gears, different sized tires, or a really f'd up front drive shaft.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in liberty, I was on 152 and there were whiteout conditions. Heard you guys got it worse though! I got the rear end from a junk yard down town over the summer, they cross ref'd the vin to make sure it was a 3.42 to match my front. Tires are all the same size and model. I am not sure as far as the drive shaft... we havent had alot of snow and this is the first time I kicked it into 4wd action fully since I bought it. Issues could be prior or just happened... I am not sure where to start.... unfortunately I am at work right now and cannot diagnose anything.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Trust me, I dont plan too... will be interesting drive on the way home. Hopefully others will chime in as well who has had similar issues.

You might have snapped something in the IFS if you REALLY caught air, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head... is it possible that your 4wd is not fully engaging?

(I've never had trouble with my 4wd, so all I can offer is speculation)

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I maybe popped over this little medium at about 5-8mph nothing real crazy, not a real hard jar, but was like $&%^ sounds like something on the bottom may have taken a hit. Suspicions were drive shaft, but that wouldnt make sense because when I throw it into 2wd the noise is gone and it drives fine. As far as the 4wd not fully engaging, that I am unsure of... I mean all 4 tires are moving when in 4 hi and 4 lo... what would be the symptoms? I have read that the 4wd switch can cause the issue of 4wd not fully engaging somehow?