4X4 not woking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoy44

Reaction score
Okay, i have a '97 Silverado 2500, Its a big block truck with the 4L80E. Im not sure what the transfer case is but i suspect its a NV243 because the truck is push button 4x4 and thats what gm indicates. The problem is when i go to put it in four wheel drive it just wont actually go, the light repeatedly flashes but it just wont engage. Im having a time finding any information on the four wheel drive system in general and was hoping someone would have some insight or be able to tell me if the push button systems in these trucks had and notorious problems that may fit my problem.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a local tranny shop here says its quite common for the actuator on the t-case to become froze in place with corrosion from not being cylcled. they reccomend engaging it monthly.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i dont think i have ever seen a big block truck with push button, i always saw the borg warner case or the np241, wonder how many were made with the push button?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Did this problem come on suddenly, or how long have you had this truck? Are you trying to get into 4 low or high?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the ones ive heard about seem to be from people that rarely use 4x4, dont use it all summer then go to use it come snow and it doesnt work.

ChevyBoy44

Reaction score
I've had the truck for about 3 years, my dad has owned it since new. It won't go into four high or low, but I I put it in low I can feel the low range engaged. The front wheels just never bite. Any idea how difficult it is to get to this actuator? I appreciate the help guys. Also I have no clue, apparently the push button was fairly rare with he big block. I'm having a time trying to find info on this, it seems like this push button system works off black magic.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is the actuator on the front diff, it is very simple to get to. Just need a large adjustable or a pipe wrench will work too. About 5 min and it should be out.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Exactly, just crawl under the front diff, look for a large screw in thing on the passenger side of the differential housing with an electrical connection coming out of it. There is nothing else you could get it confused with so don't worry. Follow those wires (like, 6 inches if that), unplug them, unscrew the actuator like how dirtridinz71 said, pull it out and install a new one in reverse order. I would be inclined to check the connection to the actuator for power before replacing it, but usually when the 4x4 lights flash like that, they're gone. Extremely common problem with these trucks, they need to be used or they go, or if you use them too much they go...

I'm currently working on one with no 4wd but a good actuator and transfer case, it has a broken wire somewhere between the case and the actuator itself. The wiring on that truck is a nightmare anyways.

ChevyBoy44

Reaction score
Exactly, just crawl under the front diff, look for a large screw in thing on the passenger side of the differential housing with an electrical connection coming out of it. There is nothing else you could get it confused with so don't worry. Follow those wires (like, 6 inches if that), unplug them, unscrew the actuator like how dirtridinz71 said, pull it out and install a new one in reverse order. I would be inclined to check the connection to the actuator for power before replacing it, but usually when the 4x4 lights flash like that, they're gone. Extremely common problem with these trucks, they need to be used or they go, or if you use them too much they go...

I'm currently working on one with no 4wd but a good actuator and transfer case, it has a broken wire somewhere between the case and the actuator itself. The wiring on that truck is a nightmare anyways.

Thank you! Perfect! I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the electrical end of the truck. I see you vehicle descriptions, the truck in question is just shy of 414 000 km and this is my first issue with the four wheel drive.