91 K-1500 Severe vibration in 4WD system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have 1991 chevy k1500 pick up and i replaced the front U-joint at the front diff and put a 4WD actuator eliminator in and got a severe vibration at about 60km/ph in 2High, would it be possible my front and read drive shafts are out of phase? Also replaced my transfer case with one from a wrecker about 6 months ago (it had 90 days warranty) but never had 4WD i just figured it was the actuator, if i put it in 4High with the original actuator still had vibration, with the eliminator it does it even in 2High. Where would the vibration more likely be coming from the transfer case, the drive shaft, the front diff or possibly c-v joints or hub? Also noticed a leak at my passenger side c-v joint, I read somewhere else that In 2High with the thermal actuator in the front passenger side spins free, is there anyway to test it?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your front DS is spinning now while you are driving. Your front DS might be out of balance, other u joint is bad, or you have slop in the slip joint.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i agree with chevydriver, and you may want to check your caps on your u-joints on the front and back drive shafts where they go into the yolk. if the little u-bolt are loose it will make your caps/u-joints work in the yolk just a little to make a big vibration, all it will take is about 0.20 and thats it. it has happened to me a couple of times. its just one of those freak things

Reaction score
Okay Thanks guys! Ill give that a shot and see what happens, sometimes just helps to get a different POV but now it makes sense it would most likely be in the front drive shaft.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you mark the position of the driveshafts before removal? If the u-joints check out ok, might be somthing to look into.

Reaction score
Okay so thanks for all the awesome help! I figured out it was the front slip yolk, I dunno why I looked it over previously but it has over a 1/16 of an inch of play in it. So my next question is do you think grease will stiffen it up (I know highly doubtful but it works of full size trucks most of the time) And if no is there any way to repair it or am i going to have to find one at a wrecker?