4x4 Doesnt work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 1500 ecsb wiht a 350 TBI, shift on the floor transfer case. Today while hunting I lost my 4 wheel drive, It worked fine most of the morning but stoped working in the afternoon and hasnt since worked. I am fairly certain that the transfer case is shifting since 4lo causes the truck to go into low range but only in 2wd. Do these trucks have locking hubs like Fords that arnt going in for me? I dont get the little floor light and I dont get 4wd. where is my problem?How do i go about finding it?

truck has 130400kms on it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 1500 ecsb wiht a 350 TBI, shift on the floor transfer case. Today while hunting I lost my 4 wheel drive, It worked fine most of the morning but stoped working in the afternoon and hasnt since worked. I am fairly certain that the transfer case is shifting since 4lo causes the truck to go into low range but only in 2wd. Do these trucks have locking hubs like Fords that arnt going in for me? I dont get the little floor light and I dont get 4wd. where is my problem?How do i go about finding it?

truck has 130400kms on it.

Thermal actuator on front diff is bad or wiring got pulled out

Sent from somewhere in MN

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyway to check the thermal actuator? i now both the plugs on the front axel are plugged in, can i check the power feed somehow with a testlight/ ohm meter? what would be the sequence

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A really simple easy way to test it, shift the transfer case into 2hi, and then simply unscrew the actuator out of the front differential (passenger side) and then shift the transfer case into 4-hi. If the actuator extends, its in generally in working condition. 9 times out of ten, the actuator is what fails.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea the actuator was pooched, 103$ later, I have a new thermal linear actuator...... why chevy decided to put a exspensive peice of rocket science in the front of my four wheel drive is beyond me. If it goes again I will probably try the Posi-Lock cable setup.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea the actuator was pooched, 103$ later, I have a new thermal linear actuator...... why chevy decided to put a exspensive peice of rocket science in the front of my four wheel drive is beyond me. If it goes again I will probably try the Posi-Lock cable setup.

Yeah, their setup on the thermal actuator is beyond me as well...in addition to being overly expensive, it's slow as heck when it's really cold out.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I never had any issues in the cold in my 96 and when i did have to replace the actuator it was $70 at autozone

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
Which one is my fill plug?
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm tryin to get my 4wd back up and jut checkin everything right now