1994 np241 issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesburk

Reaction score
I have a 1994 3/4 ton 6.5 diesel with the np241 transfer. I noticed an issue with it several months ago. The transmission shifts perfect in 4hi and 2hi, but you put it in 4low and it the tranny won't shift unless you really wind it up pretty high and let off. By doing this, it won't go into OD and if you wind it up TOO much it kicks the transfer into neutral. No grinding or anything odd I don't believe as I haven't drove the truck in a while because it has the typical 6.5 problems....blown head gasket....but I was wondering if this could be a transfer case issue or a possible transmission? Any help would be appreciated!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i'll have to try mine tomorrow, the transfer going to neutral may just be worn mounts pulling on the linkage, o.d. i believe is locked out in 4lo and in 4lo i could have sworn both my trucks shift pretty late so what you have may be normal

Charlesburk

Reaction score
I still don't see how it would shift THAT late. It's very noticeable. My halfton truck shifts normally and our designated tow rig (until I bought my duramax) an 89 Chevy 3500, 454 and 400 turbo truck shift fine in low. I'm not denying the trashed mounts, it's shot and I have a new one behind the seat that I've basically forgot about lol.