Sealing transfer case question. RTV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tore my T case apart this evening to inspect, and overhaul it, and was a little disturbed by what I found inside. The case must have been apart fairly recently from the looks of things. I found beads of RTV at the pump pickup screen, a lot of them. It must have been blocked about 70% or so. I don't see any apparent damage, but I don't want a repeat.

My question is, will the case seal OK with a very minimal amount of RTV on the case halves? It looks like the last person in there put it on pretty thick, but all of it forced to the sides of the mating surface. There wasn't much to clean off the mating surface at all. The RTV on the inside of the case must have pinched off and ended up in the pickup. TIA.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Yes. The case will seal ok with just RTV gasket maker. That's what's on mine.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agreed, they are a nice tight machine fit, just use a thin bead of the sealer on it and it'll be good to go.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got it cleaned up and back together, but I'm still not sure about something else. There seems to be some play associated with the syncro setup. While turning the shafts by hand it clunks a bit when the front shaft is engaged. I took it apart and can see the fingers on the brass syncro moving in their slots causing the play and clunk. I think the movement is normal, they need to move enough to engage. Seems noisy though. Is this normal? Seems like a sloppy setup. They don't look worn, and the chain looks good.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess, I'll set it aside now and move on to the engine and trans swap.