1995 NP241 pops into neutral on decel or bumpy roads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
Having some issues with a 95 GMC Sierra 2500.

As the thread title says, my transfer case will pop out of 2Hi into Neutral (sometimes) when coasting down a long hill. Adding bumpy roads (downhill) makes it happen more often. Sometimes accompanied by a 'thump', but as often as not, there is no sound or feeling- the only way I know the transfer case has disengaged is when I try to accelerate...

Most of the time, all I have to do is reach down and pull it back into 2Hi; however, the first time it happened the transfer case shifter was dead when pulled to the rear- no detents, no clicks pops, grinding or anything. When I got the truck to a stop, and put the transmission in neutral (automatic) I was able to shift the transfer case into 4Lo; afterwards, everything shifted normally.

In re-reading my post, it sounds like this happens *all* the time. It doesn't. Has happened exactly 4 times so far, but there is a specific road that I can drive down and pretty much guarantee that the x-fer case will pop out on that road...

I am absolutely new to the world of 4x4 trucks, so any advice you can give would be welcome!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
my first thought is the body may be bouncing on rotted mounts causing it to pull on the shift rod?

you could try disconnecting the rod and drive down that road, if your parking brake does not work, be sure to have another person with you to shift it from underneath if it does it.

if it does not do it then you know something is moving more than it should causing the rod to shift the case.

another issue that is common is the clip in the tailshaft breaks and causes issues, usually grinding noise but i guess its possible it could cause this too