350 Vortec to TBI conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edahall

Reaction score
I've got a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with a blown engine and worn out transmission. I also have a very low mileage Chevy 350 TBI and 4L60E transmission out of a 1994 Chevy van. I want to put this whole 350 TBI and transmission setup into the Tahoe. I would like to keep it TBI if possible for its simplicity. How hard is this to do? I've got the complete wiring harness and computer for the 350 tbi.

Edahall

Reaction score
I must just ask why?

1. The Vortec engine in the Tahoe is totally destroyed. It has a hole through the bottom of the oil pan.
2. I have a complete Chevy 350 TBI with 20k miles on it and the transmission.
3. TBI Chevy 350's are known for longevity. Vortec engines are problematic. Intake manifolds gaskets leak, heads crack easily, and spider injection system is poorly designed.
4. TBI Chevy 350's have more low rpm torque for better pulling.
5. 2 injectors instead of 8
6. Fuel pump is less costly and lasts longer.

I see no advantage in the Vortec 350 over the TBI 350 other than higher horsepower numbers that's only usable way up in the rpm band. So yes, I consider it an upgrade to go from Vortec to TBI. Now I need to know how to pull it off.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Don't know fer sure but it shouldn't be that difficult if u got the harness and ecm and all. It may bolt right up. U might have to adjust some mounts. I believe the 99s are an inch or so longer so I would measure everything u can before, to get a better idea where to start.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An inch longer where?

The engine an Trans should bolt in fine. You biggest issue is going to be wiring an the fuel system. You can probably reuse all the vortec accessories, but idk where to start even on the wiring if you want your factory gauges to work....

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. The Vortec engine in the Tahoe is totally destroyed. It has a hole through the bottom of the oil pan.
2. I have a complete Chevy 350 TBI with 20k miles on it and the transmission.
3. TBI Chevy 350's are known for longevity. Vortec engines are problematic. Intake manifolds gaskets leak, heads crack easily, and spider injection system is poorly designed.
4. TBI Chevy 350's have more low rpm torque for better pulling.
5. 2 injectors instead of 8
6. Fuel pump is less costly and lasts longer.

I see no advantage in the Vortec 350 over the TBI 350 other than higher horsepower numbers that's only usable way up in the rpm band. So yes, I consider it an upgrade to go from Vortec to TBI. Now I need to know how to pull it off.

I see your points, I'd say it wouldn't take much, just a lot of wiring, other then that it should bolt up.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
An inch longer where?

The engine an Trans should bolt in fine. You biggest issue is going to be wiring an the fuel system. You can probably reuse all the vortec accessories, but idk where to start even on the wiring if you want your factory gauges to work....

Isn't a 99 a NBS?