thermal actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got my tractor stuck in a field today and when i went to pull it out with the chevy it wouldnt light up in four wheel

the shifter goes down but it doesnt engage and the front wheel lights dont come on..

a good friend and neighbor said its probably my actuator and the fuse is still good so im guessing it is

how do i know which actuator i need and if mine is even bad

i checked the wires

is there a code on the axletube that i need?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is true, that factory part does fail fairly often but I think the replacement ones are pretty much good forever. I think they are like $45 and available at any parts store. Tell them the year of your truck that'll get you the right part. If that doesn't fix it then there's more to check. Also make sure that the 4x4 is for sure not working and its not just a blown light bulb.

coastsidekid

Reaction score
Ive had trouble with mine as well, havent hunted down the problem yet, ill give an update when i do.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any updates, i'm having the same problem with mine now, changed the actuator and the transfer case switch and still no luck. all fuses are good and no wiring problems that i can find.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck has the same issue. I'm assuming it is the actuator. That is next on my list of "**** to fix" for the truck this summer...

EMT96

Reaction score
Would the actuator cause all the 4x4 lights not to come on including the service 4x4 light on the dash ?

sierrasdaddy

Reaction score
My 95 k 2500 is doing the same thing. there is a tsb for it on all repair manuals. There is a kit avaliable from gm to replace the thermal actator with a "fast actator". It comes with updated actuator and wiring harness. for around $400 canadian or as I found out the kit can be purchased from napa etc for around 100.Mkae sure you get the wiring harness with the kit or the actuator wont work.

opusd2

Reaction score
Or just go with the manual version where you just pull a handle and it's engaged, no questions asked.