Can i use this transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok I have a lead on a donor rig for my '69 project. I can get ahold of the 4l80E from the same donor truck that provided the engine for my sierra for about $200.

The guy selling me the trans also has a 88-91 era Suburban 4x4 that has a TH700R4 in it and a pass side drop transfer case which may be an NP241C like what i have in my Sierra but the passenger side drop version which i would need to use with for the SFA conversion on the '69. Now my question is this. What would be required to mate this transfer case to the 4L80E? If it turns out that the burb in question has a mechanical speedo what changes will i need to make to the transfer case if any to make it work with the VSS in the 4l80E? I suspect im already possibly needing to change the imput shaft on the transfercase to make the two work together.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I have a 4L80E and NP241 in my Isuzu swap. The NP should bolt to the transmission as long as its a 4wd transmission. If the vehicle you're putting it in is already 4wd you should already have the VSS you need for the case. If its a 2wd you'll need the VSS that goes in the t-case not the trans. The NP241 is a 40 pulse.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I have a 4L80E and NP241 in my Isuzu swap. The NP should bolt to the transmission as long as its a 4wd transmission. If the vehicle you're putting it in is already 4wd you should already have the VSS you need for the case. If its a 2wd you'll need the VSS that goes in the t-case not the trans. The NP241 is a 40 pulse.

The vehicle its going into is a '69 gmc that is getting a 6.2 diesel swap along with sas to make it into a 4wd. But since I require a vss for the trans computer im gonna be running that is much needed info! Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T-case will be a 27 spl input whereas the 80e is a 32 spl output. You'll need a pre-94 32spl input to replace it with.

On the speedo you can either run a signal generator or find a VSS tailhousing and tone ring to install.